With Halloween approaching, The Onion couldn’t help but to mock our society’s discomfort with “effeminate boys” – or basically anything that deviates from stereotypical gender roles. Enjoy.
About Dr. Debby Herbenick
Dr. Debby Herbenick is a sex researcher at Indiana University, sexual health educator at The Kinsey Institute, columnist, and author of five books about sex and love. Learn more about her work at www.sexualhealth.indiana.edu.
Our society needs categories in able to function (or so it seems). These categories come in handy when we’re collecting data for the Census, but the rest of the time, they tend to do more harm than good. In the [...]
- Remember: We're Not The First Advocates for Equality
- Act Less Gay For A Better Life?
I’ve mentioned here before that I live in Ohio, and have a decent amount of pride for my chosen state (and especially the city that I live in). Living in Ohio can be a constant test, whether it’s experiencing a [...]
- Is Sex-Based Medicine Helpful or Harmful?
- How A Misogynist Changed His Mind
While we may tend to think that educated and open-minded people are less likely to hold unconscious biases, a study by Yale found that scientists responded to the gender of names assigned to CVs as much as a control group [...]
- Why "They" and "Them" Will Never Work
- Larger Social Implications Of The 2012 Elections
A year-long District of Columbia program called the “Men of Strength” clubâ€”MOST Clubâ€”entices high school boys into discussions about masculinity and gender roles by offering pizza at lunch-time meetings. It’s a bit devious, perhaps, but there are worse ways to [...]
- Performing Masculinity And The "Act Like A Man" Box
- Deconstructing Predatory Male Sexuality