Exciting news! According to an announcement made by Kathleen Sebelius, the Health and Human Services Secretary, starting August 12, 2012 new guidelines will require health insurance plans to cover contraception.
No co-payment! No co-surance! No deductible!
The Affordable Care Act guidelines also cover the following benefits:
- well-woman visits;
- screening for gestational diabetes;
- human papillomavirus (HPV) DNA testing for women 30 years and older;
- sexually-transmitted infection counseling (STI screening for high-risk populations are already covered under the Act);
- human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) screening and counseling;
- FDA-approved contraception methods
- contraceptive counseling;
- breastfeeding support, supplies, and counseling;
- and domestic violence screening and counseling.
Learn about MSP posts as they happen by following us on Twitter@mysexprofessor or make friends with us on Facebook. You can also follow Madeline Haller, the author of this post, @voiceMLINE.