Instead of a list of some (probably great) gift ideas for a special sweetie or a post about trying to not feel lonely this Valentine’s Day, why not consider spending some quality time with one of the best people in your life – you!
Spend a half an hour spoiling yourself or a whole day. So many people i know spend hours a day trying to please everyone around them that they don’t take time for themselves. This Valentine’s Day, I urge you to take some quality time out for you. Think about what makes you feel nice and appreciate yourself – whether it’s a nice bath while reading a magazine, eating crackers in bed, or even some self loving.
Here’s some ideas of ways to treat yourself:
1. Make a list of a few things that you like about yourself – they can be anything. Maybe you have some gorgeous legs, a nice butt, have the ability to be patient, are an avid reader, etc.? You don’t have to go as far to make yourself a Valentine (but hey, if you’re crafty, go for it!), but just acknowledge some things that you love about you.
2. Make a favorite meal or get take-out. I prefer take-out because that’s less work for me and no dishes to clean up. While you could go out to eat, I prefer to sit at home and kick back. I can wear comfy pj pants, eat while sitting on the couch, and watch something on Netflix. This doesn’t need to be fancy food or an expensive meal; it can be as simple as Kraft Mac & Cheese or a cupcake from the grocery store. Or pick up some nice chocolate.
3. Watch whatever you want to watch on television. You can also decide to not watch anything. Sometimes it’s nice to just veg out.
4. Crank up the music and dance.
5. Take a nice bubble bath. I’m a huge fan of bubbles that smell lovely (whether you scour etsy, pick up some Lush bubble bars, or good ol’ Mr Bubble). Have your bath your way – for me, this is likely going to include a drink for the over 21 set, lowered lights, and a magazine. Post bath, you might want to put on a lotion that smells nice. While you rub your lotion all over, focus on how it feels and how your body feels under your hands.
6. Spend some time doing whatever it is you love best. Maybe this means going for a stroll in the mall or in your local park (for those folks warmer than where I am!). You can spend some quality time with yourself.
7. Be a little lazy (if possible). Let’s say you have some dirty dishes hanging out in the sink. Let them be. You can get them tomorrow (if they’re especially grungy, rinse them. But no washing!). The point is to pamper yourself.
8. Ignore your phone, or at least put it on silent. If you really can’t turn off your phone or ignore it for the day, try to limit usage to necessary contact.
9. Set the mood. Light some candles, and turn the lights down low. Bright lights are harsh, go for softer lighting.
10. Enjoy your own body. This doesn’t mean you have to masturbate – you can simply slip into bed naked and enjoy the feeling of the blankets and sheets on your body. You can even add some different fabrics to the mix (satin or velour possibly). Now, if you are in the mood to dance with yourself (in the words of Billy Idol), go for it. Focus on how great it feels and enjoy yourself!
Come say Happy Valentine’s Day to us on Twitter @mysexprofessor and @ItsHollyAgain