Morning sex can be a delightful addition to your sexual repertoire. When you first wake up, it’s too early to worry about the stresses of the day, testosterone levels tend to be higher, and you’re already in bed. Even though movies tend to depict sex as a nighttime activity, the luxurious laziness of staying in bed a bit longer mixed with early morning lighting are great ingredients for sexy times.
On a weekday, you might only have ten or fifteen minutes tops before you have to rush in the shower and head off to work. That might not seem like a lot, but with a little planning and the right attitude, morning sex can be an excellent way to build intimacy with your partner (or person you met the night before) and gets your day off to the right start.
Here are my six tips for making the most out of morning sex:
1. Be present. Debby talks quite a bit about being present during sex in her book Because it Feels Good for good reason. Focusing your attention of all the sensations you’re feeling, rather than letting you mind wander, can make a short period of time feel richer and more intimate.
2. Have lube nearby. If you have a bit less time for foreplay, helping nature along by having lube at arm’s reach can make for more enjoyable morning romps. I’m a fan of Macgyvering your own hands-free lube dispenser for extra easy bedside access.
3. Pre-make breakfast the night before. Throw some fruit, yogurt, and protein powder in a blender and stick it in the fridge the night before. This can give you a few extra precious minutes once morning rolls around. Some people value spontaneity in their sex lives and while there’s nothing wrong with that, sometimes planning that builds anticipation can be sexy too.
4. Keep mouthwash and a glass by the bed. Here we go again with the forethought, but nothing quite ruins morning make-outs like halitosis. If you keep a little travel size mouthwash and glass to rinse by the bed, you can have a quick swish before you get to the kissing. If the mouthwash isn’t your thing, keep some of those Listerine strips close at hand.
5. Set the alarm for fifteen minutes early. Yes, that might mean getting a bit less sleep, but for some mornings that exchange is well worth it. Alternatively, going to bed a bit early, if your schedule allows, can give you extra time to prioritize your pleasure in the AM.
6. Make the most of your words. If you’re fantasizing about marathon sex but only have a short period of time, tell your partner what you’d do to them if you had more time or describe what you loved the last time you had a less time-contingent sex session. For dirty talking novices, you might want to check out Dr. Ruthie’s book The Nice Girl’s Guide to Talking Dirty.
Are you a fan of morning sex? What tips would you share with your fellow MSP readers?
Follow us on twitter @mysexprofessor or follow Kate, the author of this post, @katecom.