Earlier this week, I attended Pleasure Salon Melbourne with a couple of my more sexually open-minded girlfriends. One doesn’t get one’s hair done at Pleasure Salon â€“ it’s a “salon” in the historical French tradition, in which like-minded people gather to discuss noteworthy issues. This month, Pleasure Salon was held at Miss Libertine, one of Melbourne’s many cool, elaborately themed bars. With walls painted black with ornate details, and gilded vintage birdcages hanging from the ceiling, it seemed appropriately reminiscent of a bygone age.
Modelled after Pleasure Salon NYC, Pleasure Salon Melbourne has been in operation for almost a year. Topics have ranged from the political (Australian Sex Party candidates) to the personal (techniques for conscious masturbation). Last night, we learned about genital piercing from expert piercer Bella, who works at The Piercing Urge. She even brought her well-decorated leather boy paulus as a model. At one point, wearing nothing but his black socks, he looked absolutely delighted to show off her elaborate handiwork.
Needless to say, I learned a few things. Here are some of the highlights:
- Before you get a penis piercing, pierce a dildo to see if your partner enjoys the different stimulation.
- Jewelery and any attached chains should be stainless steel. Brass and chrome can corrode when exposed to bodily fluids, which can irritate mucus membranes.
- Penis piercing can increase stimulation, but can also cause or exacerbate premature ejaculation.
- Make sure your piercings are the appropriate gauge for the play in which you plan to engage. If the jewelery is too thin, it can rip out Ã la wire cheese cutter (Bella’s metaphor).
- As long as the jewelery is smooth, condom or dental dam tearing should not be an issue. Also, condoms with larger heads can be more comfortable for head piercings.
The night was capped off with a raffle from the Australian Sex Party, one of Pleasure Salon’s most enthusiastic supporters. I didn’t win anything, sadly, but was highly amused that Australian-Sex-Party-branded rope was featured as one of the prizes. Way to know your demographic.
You can also check out Michaela’s post on nipple piercing.